Mirror, mirror on the wall…who has the most commercial awareness of them all?
We are delighted to announce that the ATALS Content Writers 2021-2022 application cycle is now OPEN!
DEADLINE: 30th December 2021. All applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
To access our Google Form, click here.
The Article: Further Information:
At the second stage of the application process, we will ask applicants to submit a short article on a commercial headline of their choice. The article must also include an original headline (extra points if it includes a pun!).
- Use a fluid, witty and engaging writing style.
- Explain complex legal terms in your own words (as if you are explaining them to a friend or colleague).
- Use a friendly and relatable tone.
- Use reliable sources for your research.
- Try to relate the story back to law firms and the wider legal profession.
- Write a dense academic essay.
- Copy and paste quotes.
- Make assumptions.
- Write an opinion piece. Here at ATALS, we write to educate, not persuade.
- Simply rewrite a commercial story…instead, analyse it, pick it apart, question everything!
We also strongly advise applicants to use the PESTEL/SWOT analysis methods where appropriate.
The Infographic: Further Information:
Infographics are at the heart of ATALS! Therefore, successful applicants will next be asked to create an infographic to support their written piece.
No prior experience in making infographics is necessary. Instead, we will be assessing the infographic based on the following factors:
- Attention to detail; and
- Use of colour and cartoon icons.
KEY: Your infographic should support you article, rather than repeat what has already been said. Use your infographic as an opportunity to explore and discuss an element of your chosen news story which you either have not had the chance to in your article, or which you believe could be explained better visually.
We strongly advise applicants to use any of the following graphic design platforms:
Applicants are permitted to use a template to gain inspiration. However, we will be assessing applicants based on their creativity so please bear this in mind. Further, check out our Instagram (@atalsofficial) to gain further insight on our infographic style (the more colourful, the better!).
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. Good luck!